Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 14:53:55 +0100, "Dan Cermak" <dcermak@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi list,

yesterday I applied the update to the most recent kernel and
unfortunately now my laptop will no longer boot into a graphical
session. So if you have a Dell Precision 5530, don't reboot into the
5.0.1 or 5.0.2 kernel. If you did and it runs well, please tell me
how you have configured your system, as I currently cannot even get
the Tumbleweed rescue disk to boot (exactly the same symptoms: blank
screen).

It has nothing to do with the Dell as such, but with the fact that it
has an nVidia graphics card. Those problems have been mentioned a few
time already on this list.

This is exactly the reason I only choose laptops that do *not* have
nVidia graphics hardware. Living on the edge with TumbleWeed and the
lagging nVidia support makes the chance on a non-functional laptop too
big for my comfort.

Of course this all depends on how you use the laptop. I need a lot of
power and do not really care about high performance graphics. I never
play games

Linux 5.0.1-1-default [openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190314]
HP ZBook 15G3 Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz/2986(8 cores) x86_64
15958 Mb

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Venus XTX [Radeon HD 8890M / R9 M275X/M375X] driver: radeon
v: kernel
Display: tty server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: radeon FAILED: ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz, 1920x1200~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.4

Dan

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.29 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE