Re: [opensuse-factory] Today I wanted to install package asciidoc and...

On Monday 2019-03-18 07:13, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 17.03.19 um 12:23 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:

texlive OTOH feels more like a programming language where components should
be
installed on a strictly is-needed basis only. No doubt some genius has
put a dynamic "is-available(extra-module)" check in some tex file,
necessiting
Recommends :-(

What would help though (from a user's perspective) if the essential pieces
would come from < 5 packages. Like the glibc-devel package already comes with
pthread.h - even if not needed by everyone.

glibc is at a totally different level.

* glibc is just 7 MB, glibc-devel is just 3 MB. Not 600.
* glibc is used by practically everything and everyone - good luck doing
without it. texlive isn't.

Now, it begs the question what part of texlive is actually "essential",
is it TeX (installs 114), TeTeX (-installs just 12), LaTeX (-installs
111 pkgs for me)? Does it include BibTeX and metafont, or are they
considered separate? Questions over questions. I am sure there is a
die-hard person that will happily answer that. And the answer might just
"do it like CTAN", which is what I believe openSUSE is currently doing.
It's what openSUSE is doing for Perl/CPAN for example, and that seemed
to have worked well.