Re: [opensuse-factory] kernel module problem
* Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-16-19 16:27]:
[...]
You are welcome. Before you buy a new card just to get the driver to
compile, you should be able to get help on-line. For example, the problem
with 390.87 is that kernel 5.0 removed do_gettimeofday(). The fix for an
out-of-kernel driver that I maintain was as follows:

#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 0, 0))
u64 ts;
ts = ktime_get_boottime();
return ts/1000;
#else
struct timeval tv;
do_gettimeofday(&tv);
return ((u64)tv.tv_sec * 1000000) + tv.tv_usec;
#endif

I have not looked at the nVidia code, but the changes will be similar.

That $300 price for a 6GB GTX1060Ti looks a bit high. I just purchased a 6
GB GTX1660Ti from Newegg.com for $290. I would expect the 1060 to be closer
to $200. One thing to watch is the size of the card. The new one was a tight
squeeze in the Dell box. The 1660 is nearly twice as fast as the 1060 in
most tests.

tks. what I was looking at is:
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GAMING OC 6G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE
Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N166TGAMING OC-6GD Video Card
$299 at newegg

I believe the difference is three fans on this card and it is the 1660
rather that 1060 and the case I have is quite large and unless I measured
incorrectly it will fit.

are you happy with yours?