  • From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 08:23:20 +0100
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 08:13:44AM +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Stephan Kulow schrieb:
On 3/13/19 1:44 PM, Simon Lees wrote:

Yep and this is the big fat lazy option. Given the quality our
release managers expect of our Tier 1 desktops and even our T2
desktops I don't see how we can include code "That will break in some
cases" in the same category, if your only willing to go to that level
of excellence keep the code in your home repo. Do you think such code
is an acceptable standard for packagehub? personally I don't, and if
its not acceptable for packagehub it should not be acceptable for
Leap or Tumbleweed.

It's up to the packagehub maintainers to define their acceptance level, not
on me.
But I don't like the attitude to take freedom away from openSUSE users to
break
their systems. Breaking and fixing is basically the core of the fun people
take
out of linux.

Would I recommend anyone to switch /bin/sh? Hell, no! I personally would
even go as
far and block every alternative in the distribution - but with bash
blocking /bin/sh
there is not even a way for experiments without breaking your system
integrity.

If we wanted to make it possible to replace /bin/sh without actually
encouraging doing so in the distro I think it would be easier to have
/bin/sh in a separate subpackage. On package level we have better
options to control what goes where and what gets installed by default,
eg by means of Requires in patterns or NON_FTP_PACKAGES.

This I've suggested in the submit request comments, that is that
bash.spec provides a sub package which only includes the link

/bin/sh -> /usr/bin/sh

even if I do not like those links between Essential User Binaries and
the Non-essential User Binaries.

Werner