On Thu, Mar 14, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Wednesday 2019-03-13 11:25, Joerg Schilling wrote:

bash already pulled in update-alternatives (at least for build time)
already in some way, so using it seemed more or less free.

I am not sure what you mean by that

The build log for bash.rpm showed that "update-alternatives" was already
installed as a build-time dependency to create openSUSE's bash.
So the particular situation that a build cycle already existed
was not made worse.

The problem is the installation dependency cycle:
- bash requires update-alternatve
- update-alternative requires bash

If you install bash first, the update-alternative call in the %post
section will fail and there is no /bin/sh.
If you install update-alternative first, the %post will fail. If this
is a fresh installation, it luckily does not matter, but this may
generate a failure and you will have a inconsistent system and RPM
database afterwards.

What I'm still missing is: what is the advantage to be able to
replace /bin/sh with something different than bash? bash will be
installed anyways, there is no way to install an openSUSE without
bash, there are too many core packages requiring /bin/bash.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS