On Wed, 2019-03-13 at 11:20 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

can be tested for compliance. After this change, we have the
opposite.
/bin/sh is now a black box that behaves "posix compliant"
in some weakly defined way. Scripts may work, or they may not - no
reliable way to find out.

I doubt that.

Currently, you have some obscure "wisdom" that there is something
called "bash"
where nobody is able to tell what features that covers since there is
more than
one single release of bash.

I don't disagree. This is one argument for using a different shell,
which is in "feature freeze" mode. OTOH, the changes between bash 4.x
and 5.0 are rather insignificant in terms of shell script syntax,
AFAICT.

If you however write POSIX compliant scripts, you have the grant that
in case
there is a problem, you can file a bug against the installed shell.

For me, this looks like a big win.

I for one wouldn't want to rely on my brain's built-in Posix shell code
parser. I'd much prefer to have a computer do it for me.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton