On 13/03/2019 23:23, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 3/13/19 1:44 PM, Simon Lees wrote:

Yep and this is the big fat lazy option. Given the quality our release managers
expect of our Tier 1 desktops and even
our T2 desktops I don't see how we can include code "That will break in some
cases" in the same category, if your only
willing to go to that level of excellence keep the code in your home repo. Do
you think such code is an acceptable
standard for packagehub? personally I don't, and if its not acceptable for
packagehub it should not be acceptable for
Leap or Tumbleweed.

It's up to the packagehub maintainers to define their acceptance level, not on
me.
But I don't like the attitude to take freedom away from openSUSE users to break
their systems. Breaking and fixing is basically the core of the fun people take
out of linux.

My point is more that I don't find it an acceptable acceptance level for openSUSE particularly when the amount of extra effort to make it much more reliable isn't large, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

Would I recommend anyone to switch /bin/sh? Hell, no! I personally would even
go as
far and block every alternative in the distribution - but with bash blocking
/bin/sh
there is not even a way for experiments without breaking your system integrity.

Sure you can experiment with this it would take about 2 minutes and not much knowledge to create a repo in someones home dir where dash provided #!/bin/sh for example and bash did not once done they could even document it in a blog post for others to mess with. To me thats where this level of proposal belongs.

On the other hand if one was to write an rpmlint style check to catch bashism's in #!/bin/sh code and then fixed the resulting errors i'd be happy to have the update-alternatives in openSUSE because the chances of it breaking systems would be significantly lower. Given such scripts already exist in debian land I don't think this is too much work and would provide a much more proper solution.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30