On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:21 AM Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

can be tested for compliance. After this change, we have the opposite.
/bin/sh is now a black box that behaves "posix compliant"
in some weakly defined way. Scripts may work, or they may not - no
reliable way to find out.

I doubt that.

Currently, you have some obscure "wisdom" that there is something called
"bash"
where nobody is able to tell what features that covers since there is more
than
one single release of bash.

If you however write POSIX compliant scripts, you have the grant that in case
there is a problem, you can file a bug against the installed shell.

For me, this looks like a big win.

This is not a win. This is a straight up fail. If you do this, you are
allowing it to be possible to have a broken openSUSE bootstrap. You're
allowing for people to choose an unsupported configuration in the very
core of the distribution. That is completely nuts.

Now admittedly, I don't like how much openSUSE uses alternatives for
everything already, but at least we're not using it in ways where
you'd potentially break your computer with a choice. This is literally
making it so it's possible to have a failed openSUSE install.

And even if the scriptlet was in Lua, there's other transactional
ordering issues that would cause problems. It's much saner to just
have bash as the supported /bin/sh and declare it as such. If you want
to use a different shell for a scriptlet, specify it.

This is insane.