* Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> [03-12-19 19:31]:

On 13/03/2019 09:53, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2019-03-12 23:46, Simon Lees wrote:

Though not affected myself, I tend to agree with Martin as well. What
about
an option in the installer "Preferred shell" ? Make bash default, but
offer
( and install, when changed ) other shells?

My current main problem with the proposal is that it expects all
contributors /
members of the review team to go and learn something new

My problem is that you all seem to get waaay ahead of yourself.
We are nowhere near the point where one could even think of adding a
"preferred
shell" dialog box.

Nor does the review team need to learn anything, as it is not a policy at
this
time to be sh conformant and the what-ifs were already brought up last
month.

So your adding an update-alternatives option that allows people to break
there systems? I don't think that's any better.

it is not a requirement to utilize update-alternatives in order to break
one's system. if one does so in that manner, he has chosen do do so and
you will not stop him by taking away that option.