On Tuesday 2019-03-12 17:23, Neal Gompa wrote:

I can't see a consensus reached in this discussion. Yet, a request to
put /bin/sh under control of update-alternatives is on the way to
Factory. So just creating facts.

That creates a dependency loop, though.

bash already pulled in update-alternatives (at least for build time)
already in some way, so using it seemed more or less free.

Managing the core shell through alternatives is nuts because it'll break
things for stateless things, require a scriptlet engine to run the program

A trivial look shows that update-alternatives is an ELF binary.