On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 15:51 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 3/12/19 3:41 PM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

The longer this thread evolves, the more I wonder how a decision
could
be reached. But I do think we need one. Otherwise we'll waste
energy in
pointless races where some people remove bashisms and others
introduce
new ones. We all have better things to do.

I can't see a consensus reached in this discussion. Yet, a request
put /bin/sh under control of update-alternatives is on the way to
Factory. So just creating facts.

Which is perfect!
https://media.ccc.de/v/1912-opensuse-is-what-you-make-it

No it is not. A public discussion which was by no means settled is
being ended the hard way, "creating facts". I can't imagine that that's
what Richard meant. This "solution" is thoroughly lacking the "human
touch" that Richard mentioned in his talk. It's also highly doubtful
whether everyone involved in the discussion "feels they were heard".
I, personally, do not. My key point in the discussion was that we need
to settle on a unique, well-defined, existing shell with which scripts
can be tested for compliance. After this change, we have the opposite.
/bin/sh is now a black box that behaves "posix compliant"
in some weakly defined way. Scripts may work, or they may not - no
reliable way to find out.

What I least understand is that this massive change is being rushed to
factory in less than 2 weeks, while other things keep lurking in home
projects or devel projects for ages. For example, in the course of
this discussion, I'd been trying to help XRevan86 to get a working
version of "checkbashisms" into factory, but so far it hasn't even
received a devel project review (
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/662123).

That was my approach to the subject, take some small steps, evaluate
benefits, risks, and challenges, and then flip the switch (or not). But
the big axe seems to be preferred. Well then. I've learned a not-so-
nice lesson about openSUSE today.

I probably sound like a sore looser. Perhaps I am, although I'm not
strongly on one side of the "pro-and-contra bash" discussion. I
understand the "openSUSE is what you make it" mantra. But I dislike the
way it's bluntly being applied here.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton