Re: [opensuse-factory] Non-functional Steam in Tumbleweed
  • From: Jimmy Berry <jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 10:56:56 -0600
As reported in the bug, the first-run experience of Steam can be
either perfect or completely terrible depending on your hardware and
the day of the week. All errors that I have seen on my systems can be
resolved via a quick search for the error message. After resolving the
issues do not come back and Steam works fine.

Last I checked, this was true of all non-officially supported distros
(read Ubuntu). The further away from officially supported (in terms of
lib versions) the more problems one can encounter. I had an issue open
on streamtricks to try and wrap the Steam startup script and handle
the different fail scenarios, but ran out of energy.

Otherwise, given that Steam is actively used on Tumbleweed by a fairly
large number of users (as evident via forums, separate IRC
communities, and community sites) I would expect to hear about a large
scale issue. Otherwise, most issue (even for Tumbleweed) are reported
on the upstream github issue repo by Valve as they are truely the only
ones that can resolve most issues.

Based on the feedback to this mail already and the above I see no
reason to remove the Steam package. That said improvements welcome.

--
Jimmy