Re: [opensuse-factory] python-pygit2 broken
On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 10:57 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

On 07/03/2019 10:14, Martin Wilck wrote:
The python-pygit2 package in TW is broken in multiple ways -
it depends on the no-longer-existent libgit2-27, and on an obsolete
version of python-cffi. I believe the latter problem is only a
consequence of failing builds because of the missing libgit2-devel
0.27.0. AFAICS, upstream pygit2 has not announced support for
libgit2
0.28.0.

Anyway - is there a solution on the horizon, or a known workaround
other than locking python-pygit2 for the time being?

Well given that [1] doesn't list any "Bugowners" the package is not
currently maintained so unless it magically fixes itself and starts
building again it will likely be dropped in the not too distant
future.
if its a package that you and or your team still care about, you or
someone should request bugownership and maintainership in the devel
repo
and start looking after the package, unless your really lucky and
find
someone else who's willing to.

Meanwhile, I've created a compat library libgit2-0_27 with
which pygit2 builds fine again. Packages can be retrieved from my home
project:

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mwilck:/branches:/devel:/languages:/python/openSUSE_Tumbleweed

I've submitted both libgit2-0_27 and my pygit2 which uses it
to devel:languages:python, hoping to get it into factory in the near
future. Upstream pygit2 devs seem to be still working on a reliable
pygit2 release for libgit2 0.28.x, there's no timeline when it'll be
available.
(https://github.com/libgit2/pygit2/issues/878#issuecomment-470522850)

Martin

PS: As several people have asked: No, simply removing the library
version check at build time was not enough. It resulted in test
suite failures.

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton