On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 11:09 AM Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 13:24 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

I think that as a starting point we might not even need to go this
far.
A simple policy of "Contributors should accept submissions that
remove
bashism's from scripts with a #!/bin/sh shebang or replace it with
#!/bin/bash" is reasonable. That way we are not blocking people who
want
to work on this from working on it. Whether the shebang should be
replaced or the code is modified to be more compliant should be up to
the maintainer as they are the person who has to maintain the code
long
term. At the same time submissions to factory shouldn't be blocked
because scripts in #!/bin/sh are using shell specific features.

So - encourage people to remove bashisms on the one hand, and on the
other hand allow more bashisms to creep in? As a policy, that doesn't
make much sense to me.

We should either say a) "YES, /bin/sh is always bash on openSUSE" (like
Fedora), or b) "/bin/sh could be any POSIX compliant shell" (like
Debian). In case a), removing bashisms would be pointless and wrong and
should therefore be discouraged.

I see no point in going the Debian route. Forcing people to write
scriptlets purely in POSIX is just adding pain for no benefit. The
_only_ reason Debian enforces it is because they have a case where
their init is a shell script. And even then, it's easy enough to argue
otherwise since Bash continues to evolve and improve.