Re: [opensuse-factory] Policy around desktop files for command line applications
On 13/02/2019 11.48, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne středa 13. února 2019 11:41:40 CET, Carlos E. R. napsal(a):
On 13/02/2019 09.37, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne středa 13. února 2019 4:57:44 CET, Simon Lees napsal(a):
On 13/02/2019 13:57, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Simon Lees <...@suse.de> [02-12-19 20:06]:
Installing 4 joe desktop files for every isn't the best user experience
ever so I'll likely remove it from the patterns if it keeps the desktop
files but I don't really mind which or have an opinion on which
solution would be better so I thought i'd open it up for discussion.

I prefer the wordstar version of joe and have used it for years.

The reason it installs 4 desktop files, is because it also installs ones
for the Wordstar, Nano and Emacs versions.

I personally like the desktop files for command-line applications, I find
it much more user-friendly and accessible, so I'd rather remove joe from
patterns, also as I never used it. ;)

Boot the installation DVD, and ask for the rescue system. What editor do
you see there?
joe

Why not nano?

That's the Alpine editor in standalone mode, I believe. I can work with
that in a need, but joe, in its Word Star (or Borland´s "Turbo"
languages) emulation mode is familiar to many MsDOS/Windows people, and
it can emulate pico, emacs, and Word Star - thus can be familiar to more
people.

There is also mcedit, which is very simple to use although not powerful,
and comes with 'mc' package - a very useful thing to have when forced to
use text mode. I would love to see this package in the rescue images and
emergency modes (initrd).

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.