  • From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:02:33 +0100
Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 0:20 Simon Lees wrote:
Interestingly related to this discussion I read from the Meson twitter
account this morning "Switching to Meson made KornShell's build time
35x faster. Not 35 percent, 35 times." which is a pretty compelling
argument for making a change.

https://twitter.com/mesonbuild/status/1095391825647538176

It's hard to believe just switching to meson could achieve this without
something being deeply wrong with the previous build system and that one
couldn't improve the build times significantly even without meson.

It is of course not true.

The speedup is a result of only including a reduced ksh93 instead of compiling
the **whole AST suite** that even included the AT&T ANSI CPP in order to be
able to compile the suite using the Microsoft C compiler with POSIX pathnames.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
joerg.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/