Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Interestingly related to this discussion I read from the Meson twitter
account this morning "Switching to Meson made KornShell's build time 35x
faster. Not 35 percent, 35 times." which is a pretty compelling argument
for making a change.

https://twitter.com/mesonbuild/status/1095391825647538176

This could be seen as fake news.

If you remove more than 95% of the code, the remaining rest of course compiles
faster. A more impressive speedup could have been created by e.g.
pre-compiling "nmake" once and installing the result before starting to build
the code.

Switching to Meson made KornShell non-portable :-(

Removing the malloc() implementation from libast and the i18n implementation
that is also from libast made ksh93 noticeable slower.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
joerg.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/