On Wed, 2019-02-13 at 09:50 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

On 12/02/2019 21:50, Joerg Schilling wrote:
H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Projects that require features - like bash functionality - that is not
available on those proprietary OS's will cause the support on those OS's
to halt. e.g.

If you depend on proprietary bash features, you are not portable. This is
why
POSIX exists. I modified a few shell scripts from OpenSolaris to no longer
depend on ksh93 to be able to use "bosh" as /bin/sh and /sbin/sh for the
basic
startup before /usr gets mounted.

On the other side: as long as bash stays portable it is not a real problem
use bash as long as you put #!/bin/bash in the first line of your script. I
guess this will not change as long as bash stays a one man show with the
original maintainer.

? GNU gcc is by now impossible to build on HP-UX.
? Projects that switch(ed) to meson/ninja won't build outside Linux
? Projects that require new(er/est) gcc won't build on OS's that won't
build gcc

Interestingly related to this discussion I read from the Meson twitter
account this morning "Switching to Meson made KornShell's build time 35x
faster. Not 35 percent, 35 times." which is a pretty compelling argument
for making a change.

Meson being a python3 app would be a terrible choice for anythingn in
the distro bootstrap cycle (aka Ring0). That cycle is large enough as
it is - pulling python3 into it won''t make it better.

So I hope the idea of bash moving to meson is just a random though
nobody really considers.

Cheers
Dominique