  • From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:26:08 +0100
"Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmmm ... AFAICR ksh93 was huge collection of bugs causing a lot of bugzilla
entries (tagged 56 bugs). I can remember the problems the $(cmd) had caused
whereas the old `cmd` code had worked flawless. I had spent a lot of time to
hunt bugs in the multibyte code as well. One bug was memory allocing code in
the signal handling. During maintaining systemd I had no time anymore to hunt
further bugs down hence the new maintainer for ksh93/libast.
From my point of view I prefere a stable shell with maintainable code more
than
a exterm fast shell with bugs and interwoven bad documented code.

Such problems did not exist on Solaris and a non-portable ksh93 kills it.

The main advantage from ksh93 was is portability as long as David Korn was the
maintainer.

I don't like the current version of ksh93 even though it fixed a few bugs.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
joerg.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/