On Tue, 2019-02-12 at 11:29 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

Yeah for many larger packages up to 1/3rd of the build time is spent
after make install is finished,

Out of the checks we run, only "post-build-checks" consists of shell
code. rpmlint and rpmlint-mini are python, and brp-check-suse is perl.
And "post-build-checks" script use a "bash" shebang. The same holds for
the "build" package.

So IMO nothing would be gained wrt build checks by changing what
/bin/sh points at. It'd make more sense to review "post-build-checks"
and "build" for bashisms, and possibly use a different, faster shell
for them. That'd be much less review work than doing it for the whole
distro.

Before this thread we hadn't considered looking at whether using a
different #!/bin/sh would have a impact on builds particularly in the
time it takes to execute configure or process makefiles under
different
shells, at some point in the next couple of months its now on my list
look at.

As mentioned already, for that it'd be sufficient to use a different
shell for running "configure" (iow modify the %configure macro).

Regards
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton