  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:09:18 +0100
On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 1:59 Simon Lees wrote:
Before this thread we hadn't considered looking at whether using a
different #!/bin/sh would have a impact on builds particularly in the
time it takes to execute configure or process makefiles under
different shells, at some point in the next couple of months its now
on my list to look at. Particularly in regards to packages like the
kernel, libreoffice and chromium.

It certainly can. Few years ago, I was rather frustrated that when
building a kernel package locally, more than 6 minutes out of total 35
was spent by brp-symlinks script. I was even considering to rewrite it
to C and parallelize as a hackweek project.

Then Tomáš Čech tried, as an exercise, to rewrite the script just by
replacing various invokations of sed, grep etc. with bash specific
expansions. As a result, he managed to squeeze those 6 minutes down to
~30 seconds.

Michal Kubeček