On 2/11/19 5:31 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

I don't know what "m-/" means.

Facepalm.

Aha! Useful.

Like I said, I've only been doing online community support for about 30
years. I have found that people can be taught, and if they have
questions, they'll ask them. That's part of what the community is for
and what it does.

There are definitely people like that, yes. Not many of them -- a small
minority of computer users, I'd say.

For instance, a decade or so ago, I wrote a series of
getting-started-with-Linux articles for the Register, and included some
very simple commands to enable some additional repositories and add in
packages for video playback and so on.

In the comments, I was lambasted for this. "If you have to type
anything, it's too hard. Ordinary users won't do that." Etc.

Other commentators pointed out that with text commands, you could
cut-and-paste them, and that meant they'd be error-free. Long
descriptions of what to click can't be copied-and-pasted, and that means
people will get stuff wrong.

Doesn't matter. I still alienated people.

This is why there now 14× as many Ubuntu Server instances on AWS than
Red Hat ones. I wonder how many there are of *SUSE compared to Red Hat?

Yes, there are people who will, given guidance, learn.

But everyone is a beginner at some point, and making things as easy as
possible for beginners -- which is what Ubuntu set out to do -- is what
wins you users.

Secondly, there is a separate problem. If they use computers, people use
desktops and laptops. Most of those use Windows. That is, by default,
what people know.

The problem is that Windows users know nothing about any other OS, but
they don't know that. They think that they're skilled expert computer users.

So if there are obstacles in their path, they will fall over, and they
will unhesitatingly blame the product, not their lack of knowledge.

The *only* way to win over such people is to ensure that there are no
problems in their path. That everything works as they expect.

That means giving them a Windows-like desktop and making sure everything
just works out of the box.

That's just how it is, IMHO and in my experience.

But yours appears to be different.

So I think it's time to stop trying to persuade anyone to my side.