  • From: Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:06:11 +0100
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:40:32 +0100
Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2019-02-11 at 12:24 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Many packages that build slow spend a lot of time actually
*compiling*
stuff.

Are you shure?

Before I did run performance analysis on "configure", I thought that
the
compiler is the most time consuming thing in this area and I failed
completely
with this assumption.

IIRC even "configure" spends a lot of time compiling, as it forks the
compiler many times for testing things.
Indeed there are packages where "configure" takes substantially more
time that the actual "make".

Anyway, for speeding up "configure", we could simply replace the
"./configure" call with

"$CONFIG_SHELL=$someshell $someshell ./configure"

And even have %configure macro do it for you.

Thanks

Michal

in those spec files where this really matters. So I reckon that
"configure" speed is not a strong argument for making /bin/sh
customizable.

Martin