  • From: Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:35:24 +0100
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:18:29 +0100
Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If you look at bug lists in a distro such as Debian that sorts bugs per
package you will find no shell is fully compliant. There is even a bug
filed against dash for not failing to parse a perfectly valid shell
code that bash and posh reject. There are even bugs filed pointing out
differences in behavior and comments pointing out that both is
compliant. Urgh. If one shell was good enough for the past 20 years
let's keep its bugs and not introduce new ones unless there is *really*
good reason backed by solid data.

Could you point to that bug please?

BTW:

- $(cmd) works best with bosh and mksh

- $((expr)) works best in bosh and ksh93 and has problems in bash
and significant problems in dash.

In general however, the typical shell scripts on a platform should not cause
related problems as the typical cases are handled correctly by most shells.

Here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=382276

I have seen code artifically balancing case parentheses in our kernel
build scripts and added some myself but I am not sure if the problem is
in rpm spec parser or bash in this case.

Thanks

Michal