On Sat, 2019-02-09 at 00:19 +0100, Michal Suchánek wrote:
If you look at bug lists in a distro such as Debian that sorts bugs
per
package you will find no shell is fully compliant. There is even a
bug
filed against dash for not failing to parse a perfectly valid shell
code that bash and posh reject. There are even bugs filed pointing
out
differences in behavior and comments pointing out that both is
compliant. Urgh. If one shell was good enough for the past 20 years
let's keep its bugs and not introduce new ones unless there is
*really*
good reason backed by solid data.

Ack. And *if* we do so, we might as well simply define that /bin/sh is
"bash", and consequently allow scripts and scriptlets to use the full
feature set that bash has.

Regards,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton