  • From: Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 00:19:31 +0100
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:01:52 +0100
Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 18:28, Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure it needs to be bash, I'm open to the idea of it
changing,
and I'm even willing to help with the insane amount of fallout that
could be caused if we do decide to change it ;)

You seem to be arguing for dash: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh.
But that article also painfully demonstrates all the stuff people need
to avoid if they want to write compliant code.

Yeah, but if major distributions like Debian and Ubuntu have already
taken that step in 2006 and we've got reviewers like Jan who've
already been generally espousing good practice, maybe this is not
beyond our ability to do.

Extrapolating Jans '7 out of 120' package sample, I'd estimate we have
probably around 700 packages out of the 11000 in the distribution that
could need attention.

We fixed ~350 when we flattened /var into a single btrfs subvolume,
this exercise seems only twice as bad ;)

I remain to be convinced if it's really worth the effort, so I'd like
to encourage others to weigh in with their opinions, but I'm certainly
open to the idea.

To what end?

Exchange one set of bugs for another?

If you look at bug lists in a distro such as Debian that sorts bugs per
package you will find no shell is fully compliant. There is even a bug
filed against dash for not failing to parse a perfectly valid shell
code that bash and posh reject. There are even bugs filed pointing out
differences in behavior and comments pointing out that both is
compliant. Urgh. If one shell was good enough for the past 20 years
let's keep its bugs and not introduce new ones unless there is *really*
good reason backed by solid data.

Thanks

Michal