On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 18:10 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
But I think /bin/sh should be the bare minimum, smallest, leanest,
most generic shell.
It needs to be something which any developer/packager should be sure
will act the same way in every-single openSUSE system.
This behaviour needs to be the same regardless of it being a server,
desktop, container, JeOS image, or whatever, and should be confident
that it will work in a very standards compliant way.

I'm not sure it needs to be bash, I'm open to the idea of it
changing,
and I'm even willing to help with the insane amount of fallout that
could be caused if we do decide to change it ;)

You seem to be arguing for dash: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh.
But that article also painfully demonstrates all the stuff people need
to avoid if they want to write compliant code.

Regards,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton