Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
On 2/7/19 12:47 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
El 2019-02-07 a las 11:30 +0100, Richard Brown escribió:
You're mixing up different units

The device is 68G, that is 63GiB in size
df says 61G is used with 6.1G free (56GiB used, 5.6GiB free)
btrfs fi df / says 60.735GiB is used, therefore just over 2GiB free

Do you want a bug report about 'df' using GiB but saying G? Because it is a
bug,
the units used should be GiB or GB according the the IEEE and other
institutions.
If I see 'GiB' I know what it is, if it says 'G' I don't know, if it says 'GB'
I have doubts whether they follow the standard or the deprecated standard.
:-)

You asked df(1) to output with "-human-readable" size, and that's what
it did:

-h, --human-readable print sizes in powers of 1024 (e.g., 1023M)

GNU coreutils follows POSIX here, so there's nothing wrong with the output you
got:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/df-invocation.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Block-size.html

For example, ‘1M’ and ‘1MiB’ are equivalent to ‘1048576’,
whereas ‘1MB’ is equivalent to ‘1000000’.

And yes, I wrote by mistake GB instead of GiB in my previous post.

So yes, the situation is 'worse' than what df says..or in other words,
df spit out useless nonsense that is not suitable for measuring the
available space, and really shouldn't be used as the basis for any
meaningful discussions

OK! :-)

I disagree: as already stated, BTRFS does not expose the right (or useful?)
numbers to the statfs(2) system call, so df(1) just displays what it gets
from BTRFS. There's nothing wrong with df(1).
Analogy: if you tell 'echo' to print "pig", then it won't print "pork".

Have a nice day,
Berny