Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 08:32:45 +0100
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But, I can't even consider whether your proposition is correct or not,
because you have posted to this list data which is known to be
untrustworthy

The problem is not df vs some better utility to determine available
space. It is that the test by zypper does not account for all the
space that may be needed to complete the update. So updates start and
fail because of lack of disk space.

All that was being suggested was that perhaps zypper could be improved
to also consider the space needed for (1) the uncompressed version of
the RPM (i.e., the space the RPM will need for installation), and (2)
the fact that many files will require disk space for the old and new
versions until the old version is no longer needed (which is usually
not resolvable until the update is complete).

I realize that this is perhaps a less than obvious calculation. But
the current one is grossly inadequate.

And as to untrustworthy, well, I think that many people with what
appears to be adequate disk space as determined by zypper have had
installations fail because of lack of disk space.

The question, it seems to me, is not if this is happening. It is how
to improve the situation so it is less likely to happen again.

It that involves the use of df or a btrfs program is not the salient
point. Whatever the best way is to determine actual space available
should be used.

And this is not a btrfs issue. It is just that the layout of btrfs
seems to cause this in some systems where the root file system was
perhaps not made big enough. I have a laptop in that category. Since
it happily runs Tumbleweed, I don't really want to reinstall. This is
the only issue I have. I have learned to live with it. That is, not to
base the chance of a successful update on the zypper free space test.

--
Roger Oberholtzer