  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 07:46:52 +0100
On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 23:21 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Some time not very long ago, I attended a long training course. Most
of it was about Windows Server administration, but we dedicated some
time to Linux as well. Guess what? They all installed Ubuntu. I
insisted and installed openSUSE. I succeeded because of who I am, but
I had to do more effort than the rest because I had to investigate
more and change the procedures. The procedures for whatever, all
assumed Ubuntu. All the instructions were for Ubuntu. I managed to do
everything, on my own, but it was harder and longer (maybe days
longer)... As I say, I was the single one in the whole class not
using Ubuntu.

Sounds to me as if, as a result, you learned more about Linux than
anyone else in that training. :-)

I was running linux trainings myself for nine years (2002-2011). I was
using SuSE Linux / openSUSE on the machines, mostly because (1) that was
what I was using myself and (2) AutoYaST (which saved me a lot of work
when preparing the lab) but I tried to make the trainings as
distribution independent as possible. Sometimes there were people who
were trying things on their laptops in parallel. Few times there was
someone at the beginning who was surprised or even disappointed about
using SuSE Linux (openSUSE) rather than current distribution of fashion
but I don't remember anyone complaining about it in the feedback form
_after_ the training.

Things can be done in different ways and the most common is not
necessarily the best. If I believed what most people are using is
automatically the best, I would have probably never started playing with
Linux at all, 24 years ago.

The documentation of services my country administration provides,
sometimes contemplate Linux, but when they do, it is Ubuntu what they
use. Their docs give examples using Ubuntu. Thus when a month ago I
tried to use my country ID card electronic identification system on
openSUSE, I failed. All the instructions are for Ubuntu. No wiki page
here.

I had similar experience recently with Ubiquiti Unifi Controller
software which is provided for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. I also lost
patience trying to make the Ubuntu package work on openSUSE so I
installed it on RPi3 with raspbian first and eventually bought their
dedicated "hardware" controller (which is more up-to-date and better
maintained anyway).

But I (1) don't blame openSUSE and (2) don't see the experience as a
reason to switch openSUSE to debian style package management and Ubuntu
library naming scheme and filesystem layout. There will be always people
whose conclusion from such experience would be "see, openSUSE is crap,
nothing works there" but as I said multiple times, I'm not convinced
this is the type of potential users we should focus on.

Michal Kubecek