On 06/02/2019 23.00, Michal Kubecek wrote:
I believe this narrow focus on attracting new users or customers is one
of the big problems of our society. My term for the problem is "society
ADHD". It's the narrow minded focus on attracting new users/customers
leading to completely ignoring those one already has and their need and
preferences. This leads to focus on these new users - and even more so
potential users - being able to use the device, program or distribution
without learning anything and without reading boring manuals. What do
distribution "reviews" look like?

The "reviewer" goes through the installation, makes a few screenshots,
boots, takes few more screenshots, logs into KDE/Gnome, starts few well
known applications and takes some more screenshots. The more responsible
ones keep it running for few hours and maybe even try to simulate some
real life activity. What does such "review" tell you about how well is
the distribution serve an everyday user after few monts when he learned
about its quirks and cool features? Nothing - exactly as those
undercooked Phoronix benchmarks, exactly as superficial and meaningless.

Do you know that I came to install SuSE because of a good review on the
summer of 1998?

I initially installed something else. Debian? Redhat? I don't remember,
but I understood nothing. Then a magazine published a review of several
distros, a comparison. It said that "SuSE professional" was the easiest
one of the lot. And another magazine summer special included 5.3 on two
CDs.

So I went for it and never looked back :-)

Good reviews are important to newbies.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.