Re: [opensuse-factory] upower useless on TW?
Am 06.02.19 um 20:10 schrieb Michal Suchánek:
Hello,

So my battery state went to 'critical' according to upower, a
notification was displayed, and the system was shut down immediately.

If upower cannot resolve the issue in any useful way I would prefer to
use the system until it crashes.

Apparently upower would hibernate the system (by default) if it deemed
the feature available but for some reason it thinks my system cannot be
hibernated.

How does it determine this? Both upower(7) and upowerd(8) are stubs
referencing a mailing list.

Upower probably just asks systemd-logind or whoever handles that.

systemd-logind has some weird magic that makes it check free swap and
then decide if hibernate can succeed.
Unfortunately it does this wrong.

E.g. I have 8G RAM and 2G Swap, and very often with firefox and
thunderbird open, systemd will conclude I cannot hibernat *and not even
try it*.
"echo disk > /sys/power/state" will then hibernate just fine.

Anyway. You can tweak the settings in /etc/UPower/UPower.conf, but I'm
not sure if you can disable the action completely.

If you are running a desktop environment, the settings from there should
override the upower and systemd-logind settings.

Can we remove any dependencies on this abomination?

strolchi:~ # rpm -e --test upower
error: Failed dependencies:
upower is needed by (installed) gnome-power-manager-3.30.0-1.2.x86_64
upower is needed by (installed) xfce4-power-manager-1.6.1-2.3.x86_64

should be painless for you to remove it.
--
Stefan Seyfried