Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 17:12:26 +0100
On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 17:03, Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*sigh*

woodstock:~ # df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 61G 6.1G 91% /
woodstock:~ # btrfs fi df /
Data, single: total=60.43GiB, used=59.82GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=2.03GiB, used=915.50MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=125.97MiB, used=0.00B

As you probably understand I cannot give you the similar numbers for the state
before the update. So what's different now?

Now I can't dismiss your point of view as based on invalid assumptions.
Which is a good thing to have cleared up - any developer is always
going to look for an easy reason to ignore your ideas. Now we've
together eliminated that threat to your ideas.

So, how about, instead of arguing fruitlessly with me, you take my
advice and actual post to this list the results of a command that is
actually trustworthy on reporting the space in use on your systems?

Maybe instead of fruitlessly discussing about numbers, what have you to say
about the intrinsic issue itself? Do you claim that if I do a snapshot and
then replace all the files in the snapshot with new versions, the used space
will not double?

Well I don't see the issue..but I've been using the new partition
logic which makes the root filesystem fill the device without excess
partitioning..so for me, I don't see it as a major issue.

But I didn't want to be dismissive.. now you've shared accurate data,
I can see how it's a problem for you.

You have my sympathy.. but that isn't going to change much for you.

Well, I do not need any help. My updates go fine, because I check myself what
is going to happen, and if there's enough space etc. I only put some (in your
word useless) numbers to an issue that several people have reported here, in
the hope to trigger a discussion whether some changes in zypper might be
reasonable to save those people from their issues.

Oh well in that case, might I suggest a better place for that
discussion would be the zypper github issues tracker?

https://github.com/openSUSE/zypper/issues
or file a bug on bugzilla.opensuse.org, either should work equally
well for reaching the right brains you wish to tickle.

Either seems like a more sensible venue more directly interacting with
the people who'd have to implement such a feature, rather than the
much broader audience of this list.