Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 17:03:39 +0100
Richard Brown wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 16:06, Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For this issue it is sufficient and needed, as it refers to the total amount
available on the partition.

The issue is 'make snapshot, replace all packages = twice the space' is
independent of any tool/program used to measure it.

There is a different of multiple GB between the space used on
every-single-one of my btrfs systems (and I have a lot) when looking
at `df -h` compared to `btrfs fi X`

*sigh*

woodstock:~ # df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 61G 6.1G 91% /
woodstock:~ # btrfs fi df /
Data, single: total=60.43GiB, used=59.82GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=2.03GiB, used=915.50MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=125.97MiB, used=0.00B

As you probably understand I cannot give you the similar numbers for the state
before the update. So what's different now?

So, how about, instead of arguing fruitlessly with me, you take my
advice and actual post to this list the results of a command that is
actually trustworthy on reporting the space in use on your systems?

Maybe instead of fruitlessly discussing about numbers, what have you to say
about the intrinsic issue itself? Do you claim that if I do a snapshot and
then replace all the files in the snapshot with new versions, the used space
will not double?

Because, you might want my help on this topic, I'm the last person who
touched the partition sizing rules in Tumbleweed.

Well, I do not need any help. My updates go fine, because I check myself what
is going to happen, and if there's enough space etc. I only put some (in your
word useless) numbers to an issue that several people have reported here, in
the hope to trigger a discussion whether some changes in zypper might be
reasonable to save those people from their issues.