Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 15:08:02 +0100
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

woodstock:~% df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 49G 20G 72% /

Then I started the dup. It told me it would download 3576 packages, totaling
to 3.something GB. Only one conflict with a python package. So I started.

After update is finished, this is the usage:

woodstock:~% df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 61G 6.2G 91% /

So, that's 13.8GB space needed for the update because all files are COWed
during update, but stay undeleted in the snapshot :o

Now that extent might be non-standard, as I have installed lots of development
stuff and also TeX. But the keypoint is that such an update will require the
full size of your current system (minus the logs of course) as free
space. (The difference between the initial 49GB usage and those ~14GB is
mostly in the /usr/local subvolume and external software in /opt).

I see similar requirements. The check that the RPMs fit is a start.
But it hardly can be used to say that the install will complete.

So for sure checking that there is enough space to download the packages in
advance is not sufficient to make sure the upgrade succeeds. Maybe zypper
should get some better logic like summing the installed sizes of the packages
to be installed and make sure that is available? (At least when snapshots are
enabled, that is).

+1

--
Roger Oberholtzer