[opensuse-factory] zypper dup disk space requirement
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 14:40:02 +0100

Hi List,

I just did my 'zypper dup' to the fully recompiled system. As there had been
some reports about out of disk space conditions I thought I watch it
carefully, and report here.

I started deleting all old snapshots. This left me with

woodstock:~% df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 49G 20G 72% /

Then I started the dup. It told me it would download 3576 packages, totaling
to 3.something GB. Only one conflict with a python package. So I started.

After update is finished, this is the usage:

woodstock:~% df -h /
/dev/sda2 68G 61G 6.2G 91% /

So, that's 13.8GB space needed for the update because all files are COWed
during update, but stay undeleted in the snapshot :o

Now that extent might be non-standard, as I have installed lots of development
stuff and also TeX. But the keypoint is that such an update will require the
full size of your current system (minus the logs of course) as free
space. (The difference between the initial 49GB usage and those ~14GB is
mostly in the /usr/local subvolume and external software in /opt).

So for sure checking that there is enough space to download the packages in
advance is not sufficient to make sure the upgrade succeeds. Maybe zypper
should get some better logic like summing the installed sizes of the packages
to be installed and make sure that is available? (At least when snapshots are
enabled, that is).