Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: journald/non-persistent logs
On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 09:55:38AM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Feb 06 2019, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personally, I find "journalctl -b" , "journalctl -b -1" a really useful
feature, much better than searching for the right "rsyslog restart" mark
in /var/log/messages.

And it is quite easy to view the log of a single service with
`journalctl -b -u foo'.

I too like journalctl's viewing features. However the default not too
store previous logs has bitten me twice in recent months, on different
systems. I think 'Storage=auto' should not be the openSUSE default.

Swapping tales-of-woe with a Mint using colleague, he too had been
baffled by missing logs, so I assume persistence is an upstream thing.
Kepner-Tregoe built a business around "the trouble is..., the trouble is
not...". Holding "working" logs can be invaluable when trying to
troubleshoot, easily worth the meagre cost of storage and trivial
overhead of log segmentation/rotation.

Daniel