Re: [opensuse-factory] Keeping TW installation lean (Tumbleweed snapshot 20190201 released!)
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 09:21:04 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2019, 08:09:56 CET schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
Why but rpm already does that (the freespace check).

Before installation, but not before download.

A download size of 2 GB does not mean only 2 GB is needed. It also
needs space for the uncompressed bits. And, if you are changing
something that is running (the old file is in use) disk space can be
quite large until the old items are no longer needed (typically a
reboot - starting bits here and there is usually a recipe for a
different type of problem).

Correct - so the upcharge (add-on to the pure download size) must even be
larger.

I always download all first, and then let the install happen. Nothing
worse that having 1/2 the system updated when a needed bit fails to
download.

See my original post, that's what I did as well. There was not even enough
space to download all 2900 packages...but better it fails here, than during
installation....

Cheers
Axel