Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Keeping TW installation lean (Tumbleweed snapshot 20190201 released!)
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 08:34:31 +0100
On mardi, 5 février 2019 18.45:55 h CET Pierre de Villemereuil wrote:
Hi,

How about, instead, Zypper checks for free space -- that does sound like
a good idea to me -- and if there isn't enough

At least, some clever way to warn users for this, even if no automated
solution is offered would be extremely nice!
may be using download-in-advance option can be tricky on those sparse free
space system, but at least is would have failed before trying to run any
update.

Running Tumbleweed on a small btrfs partition (roughly 20Gb), this is not my
experience. Usually, the system manages to download all packages, but it's
when the installation begins that it usually fails, generally for a big
package like Firefox or the kernel. When I'm unsure about free space, I
trigger --download-as-needed.

For what it's worth (might be useful for others), I had to compress my root
filesystem and set up compression for new files to manage this update on my
small partition. It seems to work well enough (didn't notice strong
sluggishness after multiple reboots) and allowed the update to pass with
20% free space after that, so a good solution from that perspective. (If
this is a bad advice, please --gently-- yell!).

Cheers,
Pierre.

Hi Pierre, for space, as I already experienced bad behaviour of all kind
with btrfs filled at 85%, I've decided to keep space usage as low as possible
around 50 to 75% max.

It would be interesting for you to check how much snapshots you have before
the upgrade. In those case of exceptionnal almost full distribution update, I
would delete all old snapshots (afterward the running system is working) and
only keep one full in case of. Once snapshots are removed, I also rerun btrfs-
balance to force reclaim of free space.

With those practice, I've been on the safe side since the last 2 years.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch