Hi Simon- if the (open)SUSE community is just that impotent I'll take
my leave.

Best, Jim

On Tue, 2019-02-05 at 19:17 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

On 05/02/2019 08:33, Jim E Bonfiglio wrote:
Hi Simon- as far as I'm aware the currently insecure file system
implementations you are seeking to disable also possess bugs and
known
exploits. While my proposal would not necessarily reduce bugs in
sum
total, it ought to eliminate the necessity to concern oneself with
insecure file systems which possess bugs and known exploits.

By "virtualizing" or "extrapolating" the file system subsystem,
these
buggy and known exploitable file systems (pretty much all of them)
could be contained rather than be removed and/or patched. This may
provide more flexibility to users of (open)SUSE, or, the general
Linux
community at large should this be implemented upstream as
previously
mentioned.

I hope this email provides clarity.

I understand what your saying, I'm just trying to point out that what
you suggest is likely not feesable for the openSUSE project to
implement
on its own. openSUSE is a volunteer organisation unless someone
volunteers to change / implement / fix something it doesn't happen.
Currently no one is volunteering to do the complex work that you
suggest, however someone has volunteered to fix the issues related to
these insecure filesystems in a simpler way and a way in which they
have
time to contribute. So unless someone steps up and volunteers to do
it
in another way I don't see why we shouldn't it doesn't seem to be an
unreasonable way forward.