On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 22:29, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 06:32:17PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
I mean, as an example, I got a new PC recently at work. It has nVidia
graphics. Getting the nVidia driver working on Tumbleweed was pretty
horrible. After a lot of experimentation, I ended up downloading the
file direct from nVidia US and installing it, because unlike anything in
the repos, AFAICT, this does stuff like blacklisting the "nouveau"
driver for you.

Then I discovered that every time TW gets a new kernel, X.11 falls over.
I installed DKMS but it's not working.
Drivers are _hard_, stuff like blacklisting stuff is harder, and
troubleshooting it is not easy.

I also got a machine with an nvidia card but I took a different
approach: nvidia, by their attitude towards linux drivers, makes it
absolutely clear they don't want me to use their products. So I picked
some radeon card from the cupboard and replaced the nvidia. Eight years
later, I'm absolutely sure I chose the right solution which saved me
a lot of time and a lot of frustration. No problems with finding
a driver, no breakage after each update, I can even run Kernel:HEAD
snapshots on the machine.

Sometimes the constraints exist only as long as you refuse to think out
of the box.

From your e-mails, both here and in the recent discussion about bogus
Phoronix benchmarks, it seems that you believe the goal of openSUSE is
(or at least should be) attracting as many users as possible which
mostly means adapting the distribution to meet the expectations of
people who don't want to think, learn or work. I don't agree with such
goal because it would mean way too many sacrifices which would make the
distribution less attractive for me.

Michal Kubecek

I wholeheartedly agree with Michal

openSUSE is a community project, therefore one of our first concerns
should always remain ensuring our Project is self-sustaining.

The first, and I believe best, step to achieving that is remembering
the first lesson of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" -

"Every good work of software starts by scratching a developer's personal itch."

openSUSE needs to be producing stuff by the openSUSE Project, for the
openSUSE Project first and foremost.
Outreach for new users should be driven by people personally motivated
to address those area's we're reaching into (therefore, still sticking
to the first rule).
For those who believe grabbing new users is really really important,
I'm afraid that means accepting that some people like Michal exist and
will not share your vision.
You wouldn't like it if someone tried to force you to do something you
don't appreciate.
Be careful not to act in that way to others.

Forcing people to chase after dreams they don't share just risks
contributors to openSUSE drowning under poor motivation, burn out, and
at best will produce dispassionate solutions to poorly understood
problems remotely observed.

Let's keep the project focused on those things we personally care
about, and try our best to avoid chasing unicorns.