Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: jounald
  • From: Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 21:43:46 +0100
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 18:57:31 +0100
Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 05.02.19 um 18:32 schrieb Liam Proven:

Second reason: because we have blasted systemd now and as a result of
that, half the most common basic logfiles have bally well disappeared
and are now in some binary log format I don't know, hidden I don't know
where and only viewable by a tool I don't know.

Well, digging through a zillion of log files in /var/log is certainly
You can even grep those zillion files. And it does not take hours to
extract them from the journal database in case you have moderately busy
system. But that's not a problem that happens on personal notebooks
such as Lennart's or yours, sure.
easier than "journalctl -b", which shows you all relevant logs from this
boot (not the old, irrelevant ones)
It even shreds the old, irrelevant ones for you so when something stops
working you cannot compare with with logs from the time it did work.
and even marks them with colors
according to the severity level.
systemd is generally not a bad idea. The documentation sucks, however.
And the implementation comes with some odd defaults very flawed pieces,
such as journald.

journald has an interface different from anything else you have to
learn just to view your logs on systemd diseased system. That would be
excusable if the tool was good but it brings no real advantage and
really poor performance.

Maybe you need to do more research before you bash something

Thanks

Michal