[opensuse-factory] Re: [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:28:52 -0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 15:13:11 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

Jim Henderson composed on 2019-02-01 19:19 (UTC):

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:26:18 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

Well, I've only been using Linux since 1995, but I managed to figure it
out with exfat. It isn't rocket science, and with proper
documentation,
we make it pretty clear for the dozen people who need hpfs because they
still want to run OS/2 and Linux on the same box.

You have statistics to back up this "dozen", right? Stuff that has been
just working for decades doesn't get much press.

If you've been reading my posts, Felix, you know that I'm referring to
the photos from the Berlin conference that someone else referenced. It's
a small number, nobody really doubts that, it seems.

Let's not get hung up on the specifics number. Whether it's a dozen or
300, it's still a small number, and that's my point.

How do you know that? Do you think a non-expert would know that?

I think people should be able to figure it out, yes. Why do we assume
that people are stupid or unable to ask questions when they run into
problems? Isn't that what the community is for?

Remember for most people what computers are for? Saving time, and doing
repetitive and difficult or otherwise impossible things. When something
long working breaks, time saving morphs into time gobbling, not the
least of which is Google's response to its bad responses feeding
captchas instead of useful hits, the domino effect of one thing going
wrong leading to multiple others before finding any light at the end of
the tunnel, the kids stop screaming they're hungry, and sunrise begins
before ever having gotten into bed.

Well, then, maybe every possible device should be enabled, just in case
one person has a need to be able to connect it at some point, regardless
of what we know or what the security implications are.

It just seems silly to me to cater to a relatively small minority of
users who have a specific need.

Breaking what works because only some undefined population subset uses
it. The voice of tyrannical majority speaking. If most don't need
something, nobody needs it.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. 1686, Newton.

And leaving things in a system that add to the security footprint and
places that can be exploited is a bad practice.

--
Jim Henderson