Re: [opensuse-factory][PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
Jim Henderson composed on 2019-02-01 19:19 (UTC):

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:26:18 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

Well, I've only been using Linux since 1995, but I managed to figure it
out with exfat. It isn't rocket science, and with proper documentation,
we make it pretty clear for the dozen people who need hpfs because they
still want to run OS/2 and Linux on the same box.

You have statistics to back up this "dozen", right? Stuff that has been just
working for decades
doesn't get much press.

How do you know that? Do you think a non-expert would know that?

I think people should be able to figure it out, yes. Why do we assume
that people are stupid or unable to ask questions when they run into
problems? Isn't that what the community is for?

Remember for most people what computers are for? Saving time, and doing
repetitive and difficult or
otherwise impossible things. When something long working breaks, time saving
morphs into time
gobbling, not the least of which is Google's response to its bad responses
feeding captchas instead
of useful hits, the domino effect of one thing going wrong leading to multiple
others before
finding any light at the end of the tunnel, the kids stop screaming they're
hungry, and sunrise
begins before ever having gotten into bed.

It just seems silly to me to cater to a relatively small minority of
users who have a specific need.

Breaking what works because only some undefined population subset uses it. The
voice of tyrannical
majority speaking. If most don't need something, nobody needs it.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. 1686, Newton.

TGIF

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/