Am 01.02.19 um 13:36 schrieb Martin Wilck:
On Fri, 2019-02-01 at 12:48 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
even better:
vbox-seife:~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/99-jfs.conf
install jfs logger -t modprobe "jfs logmessage"; echo "JFS disabled
by blacklist.conf, use --ignore-install"
vbox-seife:~ # modprobe jfs
JFS disabled by blacklist.conf, use --ignore-install
vbox-seife:~ # tail -1 /var/log/messages
20190201-12:46:01.8 modprobe: jfs logmessage

So we could log to syslog and to the terminal for interactive use.

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry, I don't like that. "blacklist" is
neat and clean. "install" opens up a can of worms. Look at the man
page of modprobe.d: "install" is essentially deprecated.

totally agree.
This was just a solution that has no "external dependencies" (patches to
libmount, manpage etc).

More issues with that suggestion:

- The "echo" command is not printed to the console for users running
mount(8); only users running modprobe see it.

The echo command was only to make "modprobe foo" not silently fail, but print
why it fails and how to overcome it.

- With the "blacklist" approach, you can work around the problem with
a plain "modprobe jfs". With the "install" approach, you now need to
run "modprobe --ignore-install jfs".

...and the echo was intended to tell you that ;-)

- It hasn't been the intention to prohibit "modprobe jfs". On the
contrary, we explicitly allow / encourage users to do that to work
around the blacklist entries if they need to.

- generating or modifying (possibly arbitrary) "install" directives
is significantly more complex then handling simple "blacklist"
entries in %post. Well - I guess it comes down to commenting out,
but we'd need to think it through thoroughly.

I've proposed a log message printed by libmount when the ENODEV error
is encountered in the blacklisting approach. The message looks like
this:

# mount /tmp/cramfs-img /mnt/img
mount: /mnt/img: unknown filesystem type 'cramfs' (hint: possibly
blacklisted, see mount(8)).

(the first part is the standard message, the "hint" is appended if one
of our "blacklist candidates" is encountered).

That's much better.
(I cannot count how often I have wondered why I could not mount my USB stick or
an NFS share after
updating-but-not-rebooting the kernel and thus missing the proper modules ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried