Am 01.02.19 um 12:26 schrieb Liam Proven:
What doesn't seem like common sense to me is to load it on millions of
installations where it isn't needed

Then all modern OSes must dismay you, because that is how they work:
including tens of thousands of drivers that 99% of people will never
need, just so that they are there and the software works for the 1% who
need them.

I just tried out your very broad statement.

* Windows 10, latest patch level ("modern" in my perception).
* USB Stick with GPT and ext4 and BTRFS partitions on it.
* Plugged in
* Windows offers to format it.

No driver autoloaded. No file system mounted.

because a hundred (thousand, whatever
small percentage use OS/2 in dual-boot configs with openSUSE)

Yes, I think it probably _is_ a very small proportion.

OTOH, *SUSE is one of the oldest distros, and OS/2 is one of the oldest
PC OSes, dating back to 1988 IIRC. Hardcore OS/2 users are old-timers.
They are the sort of market *SUSE might appeal to.

And they are the ones that surely can and will find out how to add that one
comment character to the config file to fix
that.
Even Felix will be able to solve that problem ;-)

To be fair, I doubt we'll attract many new switchers from OS/2 now. I
doubt there's anyone left.

can't be
bothered to uncomment a line in a blacklist file.

What I am getting at is that to come to this conclusion requires an
elaborate process of elimination that I suspect I could not complete
myself, and I am not a newbie.

If all the docu-capable people would start writing wiki articles about this
now, then once this is in an end-user facing
distribution, a simple "openSUSE USB stick unknown file system" google search
will lead them to the solution in no time.

So, if the issue here is removing old code that is not likely to be
needed, then the real problem is not "what do we remove/disable" but
"how to we give meaningful error messages that this is what has been done?"

See the rest of this thread, we are already trying to work on that.
--
Stefan Seyfried