On 31/01/2019 22.52, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 1/31/19 4:38 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 31/01/2019 22.26, Michael Ströder wrote:
On 1/31/19 10:05 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I'm not saying to keep the drivers. Did I? I only say that the users
that need one of those filesystems in the future will be surprised and
not know what to do.

But users will also be "suprised" when putting in a rogue USB stick
which hits a security bug in an unmaintained file system driver.

True.

It's just a matter of weighing one against the other.

Personally I have a strong preference to mitigate attack vectors.

I agree.

I only wonder if there is something that could be done to tell users
what is happening at the moment it happens to them.

When they're attacked or when the module fails to load?

When it fails to load, somehow point to somewhere to read what is going
on, why it was disabled, how to enable at his own risk, etc :-)

I'm not saying to enable to keep them enabled. Just wondering if it is
possible to inform users of the situation when they are surprised by not
being able to mount one of them.

If it is not possible, well, it is not possible.

Maybe a message on syslog from kernel when module is loaded to tell it
is risky, please read "/path/file"?

Maybe a message by mount command?

I don't know.

--