On 1/31/19 4:05 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 31/01/2019 21.50, Jim Henderson wrote:
See Jeff's answer, Carlos. I'm not the one making the change.

I did not say you were.

But I'd also be inclined to RTFM for information like that, too.

Where? :-)

If I
need a filesystem that isn't installed, my approach would be to look to
see if it was included in the kernel package (which it sounds like it
would be), and then to look at why it isn't auto-loading.

Ok, so look, read, study... Problems, delays.

That seems like common sense to me.

What doesn't seem like common sense to me is to load it on millions of
installations where it isn't needed because a hundred (thousand, whatever
small percentage use OS/2 in dual-boot configs with openSUSE) can't be
bothered to uncomment a line in a blacklist file.

I'm not saying to keep the drivers. Did I? I only say that the users
that need one of those filesystems in the future will be surprised and
not know what to do.

Ideally, the mount command would print information, or where to read more.

The mount command doesn't have that context. It calls mount(2) and the
kernel requests that userspace load the module. Then mount(2) returns
-ENODEV, which is documented in the mount(2) man page as "file system
type not configured in the kernel." If the module isn't loaded, the
module doesn't register as a file system type, and then there's no
difference between "mount -t sadlksjadlk" and "mount -t jfs".

mount(8) can't attempt to load the module itself since it may not have
privileges to do that even if it weren't blacklisted.

We can definitely document the blacklisting case in the mount(8) man
page, though. It's probably possible to link with libkmod and check if
the module was blacklisted, too.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney