Re: [opensuse-factory] [PLEASE SPEAK UP] Disabling legacy file systems by default?
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 10:35:28 +0100
Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 08:15:42PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:

I can't speak for Jeff, but I'd say yes. The intention is that users
who want to use one of these _kernel modules_ have to edit the modprobe
configuration by hand.

Did you consider users whose systems won't boot after this change? Sure,
one can always boot a rescue system, mount the root filesystem (as long
as the rescue system doesn't share the blacklist, that is), edit the
config file etc. But if something like this happened to me after an
update, I'm pretty sure I would be very angry.

Agreed.
But doesn't the module for the root fs get added to the initrd? In doubt (if
it isn't already done), wouldn't it be sufficient to actively load all those
modules during boot? Then you'd have at least the basic stuff available....