Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
On 21/01/2019 10.48, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 1/19/19 10:27 AM, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
[...]

#1: Why was -> System -> Language -> Detail "Locale-Settings for user root"
removed from Yast? Should be re-inserted. There is absolutely no reason
for removing it, it only forces users to namually edit
/etc/sysconfig/language.

You seem to assume that YaST developers enjoy removing functionality
just for the fun of it.

I did a little bit of research and it looks like that option was removed
as part of a needed adaptation to systemd. Unfortunately, systemd has
changed a lot how the locale management works. Adapting YaST to it may
have consequences that are not obvious to everybody at first glance.
Which is quite different from "absolutely no reason for removing it".

Ok, but you see, we have no way to know unless you tell us in the
release notes, for instance.

I had not noticed the change in YaST, because I don't change root's
locale. I see in "/etc/sysconfig/language" for 15.0 this paragraph:

# This defines if the user "root" should use the locale settings
# which are defined here.
# Value "ctype" means that root uses just LC_CTYPE.
# Value "yes" means that root uses the full settings..
#
ROOT_USES_LANG="ctype"

If the variable is there, why can't YaST touch it? Why is this affected
by systemd?

I'm not complaining, but I simply do not understand.

Maybe YaST did something more than change that variable, or maybe the
variable is also ignored.

Sometimes (not always), things can be re-engineered to find a way to
bring some old functionality back, but in a way that is
systemd-compliant and avoids side effects. Unfortunately, that's more
complex than "should be re-inserted".

For further reference, this is the change in Github:
https://github.com/yast/yast-country/pull/149

Huh. That's like greek to me, sorry.

--
Cheers / Saludos,